The viral Nutella puff pastry Christmas tree is fun and easy to make. It makes an excellent Christmas breakfast or dessert. Learn the best way to make this special holiday treat.
If you’re looking for a simple yet impressive Christmas dessert, the viral sensation Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree is the perfect choice. This delightful creation not only adds a touch of festive charm to your table but also satisfies your sweet tooth with the irresistible combination of flaky puff pastry and luscious Nutella.
The holidays are all about creating cherished memories, and what better way to do that than by gathering around the kitchen to whip up a delightful Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree? This recipe is not only a showstopper in terms of presentation but also incredibly easy to make. We highly recommend making one for Christmas parties or Christmas morning breakfast.
Because we try to limit refined sugar, we are using no-sugar-added chocolate hazelnut butter. We will share some other swaps for different dietary restrictions as well.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR A NUTELLA CHRISTMAS TREE
You’ll need just a handful of simple ingredients – puff pastry, Nutella (whether store-bought, homemade, or no-sugar-added), egg wash, and a dusting of powdered sugar.
Puff Pastry – The Flaky Foundation: The star of our Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree is undoubtedly the flaky, buttery puff pastry. This versatile dough is a lifesaver during the busy holiday season, as it provides a shortcut to achieving that perfect pastry texture without the need for extensive preparation. You can even use it for savory appetizers like this Vegan Spinach Artichoke Wreath!
Whether you choose to make your own or opt for the convenience of store-bought puff pastry, the result is a golden, crisp layer that forms the base of our festive creation. Choose vegan or gluten-free if desired.
You’ll need to let your pastry dough thaw before using, but it won’t take more than 40 minutes at room temperature.
Nutella – The Heart of the Tree: A puff pastry tree could be filled with many things! In our case, Nutella takes center stage, bringing a rich and velvety texture that complements the layers of puff pastry. We use Good Good chocolate hazelnut butter which is keto and very low in sugar and carbs.
Egg Wash – A Shiny Finish: To achieve that golden-brown perfection on the outside, a simple egg wash does wonders. This final touch not only adds a glossy sheen to the puff pastry layers but also helps them bake to a beautiful crispness. The egg wash is the secret ingredient that ensures your Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree looks as good as it tastes, making it a picture-perfect centerpiece for your festive table.
Dusting of Powdered Sugar: To bring a touch of snowy winter magic to your Christmas tree, a gentle dusting of powdered sugar is the finishing flourish. Like snowfall on evergreen branches, this simple addition enhances the festive atmosphere, creating a visually stunning dessert that captures the spirit of the season.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR YOUR PUFF PASTRY CHRISTMAS TREE
- Large Baking Sheet: Ensure you have a spacious baking sheet to accommodate the size of your Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree. A large sheet provides enough room for the puff pastry layers to expand.
- Parchment Paper: Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the puff pastry from sticking and to ease the cleanup process. This simple addition ensures a smooth baking experience and helps maintain the integrity of your beautiful Christmas tree shape. A silicon baking mat also works.
- Pastry Brush: A pastry brush is instrumental in applying the egg wash that gives your Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree its golden sheen. Choose a brush with soft bristles to evenly coat the puff pastry layers, ensuring a beautiful and appetizing finish.
- Powdered Sugar Sifter: To achieve that enchanting snowy effect on your Christmas tree, a powdered sugar sifter is a must-have. This handy tool allows you to delicately sprinkle powdered sugar over the finished dessert, mimicking a dusting of snow on festive branches.
- Star Cookie Cutter: If you’d like to top your Christmas tree with a star, use a small star cutter.
How to Make a Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree
Assembling your Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree is a fun and straightforward process. Follow these general instructions to create a stunning dessert edible tree.
Here’s an overview of how to make it:
- If using store-bought puff pastry, follow the package instructions for thawing. If making your own, ensure it is rolled out to the specified thickness. Lay it on a parchment-lined baking sheet or cookie sheet.
- Take a generous amount of Nutella and evenly spread it over the surface of the puff pastry. Cover with another sheet of pastry dough. You’ll be trimming the edges.
- Cut the puff pastry into a Christmas tree shape. Start at the top center and gradually cut down to each side, leaving a trunk at the base. You can use a template or freehand the shape based on your preference.
- Cut and twist “branches,” then coat the tree with egg wash.
- Bake and dust with snow!
FAQs – Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree
The holiday season can be hectic, but that doesn’t mean you have to compromise on creating delightful treats. A Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree is a testament to the fact that elegance and simplicity can coexist in the kitchen. With minimal ingredients and straightforward steps, this dessert allows you to focus on what truly matters – spending quality time with loved ones.
This recipe is a great option for a Christmas morning breakfast or a festive holiday dessert.
@marinadelio 3-ingredient Puff Pastry Nutella Christmas Tree! Accidentally ordered 8 jars of no-sugar chocolate hazelnut spread so HAD to make the viral Nutella Christmas Tree 🎄 Nutella puff pastry Christmas tree is fun and easy to make. It makes an excellent Christmas breakfast or dessert. I love the pull apart branches – perfect Christmas party recipe. It is easy to make gluten free or vegan too. INGREDIENTS 2 sheets puff pastry (1 box) 6 oz. Nutella (or other chocolate hazelnut spread)* 1 egg Powdered sugar, for dusting . #viral #nutellachristmastree #puffpastry #puffpastrychristmastree #holidaybaking #christmas #viralrecipe #christmaspastry ♬ R o c k i n A r o u n d C h r i s t m a s T r e e – phoebe • 90k
- 2 sheets puff pastry (1 box)
- 6 oz. Nutella (or other chocolate hazelnut spread)*
- 1 egg
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Gluten-Free Option: Use gluten-free puff pastry.
- Vegan Option: Use vegan chocolate hazelnut spread. Pepperidge Farm puff pastry is vegan.
Thaw your puff pastry completely before using.
We wanted even more “Nutella” with our tree after baking and recommend serving more in a small bowl on the side if you find this.
We used Good Good brand choco hazel spread as it has no added sugar. Feel free to use any spread you like.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.