I think we can all agree that buffalo chicken dip is pretty much the most quintessential game day appetizer out there. It’s hearty, cheesy, satisfying, salty, spicy and perfect for dipping.
I wasn’t about to drop another buffalo chicken dip recipe on the internet because a) that’s boring and basic and 2) there are only so many ways to make it. Ya feel?
What I did want to do though, was make a vegetarian buffalo dip without chicken but still have it be just as crave-worthy and addicting enough to belong in your game day spread. As I mentioned before, I’ve been trying to incorporate more plant based and vegetarian-friendly recipes into AK and know that many of you are trying to eat less meat too.
Let’s start with a bomb a$$ white bean buffalo dip that’s creamy, a little healthier than the original version and made with three different types of cheeses for the ultimate party dip!
P.S. if you are going to make a buffalo chicken dip, it should 100% be my Bubbly Hot Chicken Enchilada Bean Dip.
Ingredients in this easy vegetarian buffalo dip recipe
This delicious vegetarian buffalo dip has a creamy buffalo white bean base, three different kinds of cheese, hearty mix-ins and a pop of fresh cilantro on top that you’ll love. Here’s what you’ll need for the recipe:
- White beans: you’ll blend a can of white beans and keep another can whole for a delicious texture. This is your chicken replacement! Plus white beans are packed with fiber, iron and protein. Heck yes!
- Plain greek yogurt: this will add a wonderful creaminess to the cheesy white bean dip. You can also use sour cream. I typically go for whole milk greek yogurt but it’s up to you!
- Cheeses: we’re adding in cream cheese, mozzarella cheese AND sharp cheddar cheese for the ultimate flavor. Feel free to use regular or low fat cream cheese.
- Buffalo sauce: to make it a cheesy buffalo dip! Use your go-to buffalo sauce – hot or medium! I personally love this paleo friendly buffalo sauce.
- Topping: I like to top this veggie buffalo dip with cilantro & green onion for a pop of freshness.
How to make buffalo dip without chicken
This white bean buffalo dip is SUPER easy to make, only requires 8 ingredients and can even be made ahead of time. Here’s how to make it:
- Blend it. In the bowl of a food processor add in 1 can of drained and rinsed white beans, cream cheese, greek yogurt and buffalo sauce; process/blend until smooth. Pour it into a prepared skillet or pan.
- Bake it. Gently stir in the remaining can of rinsed and drained beans, some of the mozzarella and cheddar cheese and green onions; spread evenly. Add remaining shredded cheeses on top and bake until cheese is bubbling and slightly golden brown along the edges.
- Serve it. Serve immediately with tortilla chips, pita chips, plus carrot and celery sticks.
Spice it up
This vegetarian buffalo dip recipe is easy to customize by adding some heat. To make it a little bit spicier, I’d recommend adding:
- A spicy buffalo sauce like this one
- Spicy shredded cheddar cheese
- And some sliced jalapeños on top!
You’ll make the vegetarian white bean buffalo dip the same way while easily swapping in those ingredients. YUM!
Make it ahead of time
If you want to prepare this vegetarian buffalo dip ahead of time, you totally can!
- Mix all ingredients together in the pan as directed and cover with cheese.
- Place foil over the top of the pan, then place it in the fridge until ready to bake.
- Bake when you’re ready! You may need to add 5-10 extra minutes of baking time, but the buffalo dip will still be delicious! This vegetarian buffalo dip can be prepared up to 3 days ahead of time. Perfect for game day!
What to serve with this white bean buffalo dip
There are tons of amazing ways to serve this deliciously cheesy buffalo dip. I recommend:
- Your fav tortilla chips or pita chips
- Plenty of veggies like celery and carrot sticks
- These easy paleo crackers
- On top of tacos, burritos or burrito bowls!
More delicious homemade dips
Get all of our amazing dips & salsas here!
I hope you love this vegetarian white bean buffalo dip recipe. If you make it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe — I really appreciate it! xo.
Vegetarian White Bean Buffalo Dip
Delicious vegetarian white bean buffalo dip baked to perfection with fiber and protein-packed white beans, three types of cheese and your favorite buffalo sauce for the ultimate party or game day appetizer! Guests won’t miss the meat in this easy vegetarian buffalo dip — serve with tortilla chips, celery, carrots or anything else your heart desires.
- For the buffalo white bean base:
(15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
plain whole milk greek yogurt (or sour cream)
medium or hot buffalo sauce
- For the mix-ins:
(15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
sharp cheddar cheese (or a spicy cheddar if you’d like), divided
diced green onion (green part only)
- To garnish:
- Fresh cilantro
- Extra green onion
- For serving:
- Tortilla chips
- Carrot sticks
- Celery sticks
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Grease a 9 inch oven safe skillet or 8×8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor add in 1 can of drained and rinsed white beans, cream cheese, greek yogurt and buffalo sauce; process/blend until smooth. Pour it into prepared skillet or pan.
Gently stir in remaining can of rinsed and drained beans, 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and green onions; spread evenly. Add remaining shredded cheeses on top and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and slightly golden brown along the edges. Garnish with cilantro and extra green onion. Serve immediately with tortilla chips, pita chips, plus carrot and celery sticks.
To make this dip a little bit spicier, I’d recommend adding:
- a spicy buffalo sauce
- spicy shredded cheddar cheese
- and some sliced jalapeños on top!
Check out the full post for instructions on making this dip ahead of time!
Servings: 9 servings
Serving size: 1 serving (based on 9)
Saturated fat: 5.3g
This post was originally published on January 14th, 2021, and republished on January 5th, 2022.