If you know me, you know I’m a biiiig fan of flavorful, interesting, and FUN sandwiches. In fact, the whole AK team pretty much does backflips over sandwiches. Have you checked out our guide for the best sandwiches in Chicago? They’re a must-try if you’re in the city.
But let’s get back to homemade sandwiches. Ones you can build with every unique topping you can find in your fridge or pantry. Ones like this ultimate spicy cheddar apple sandwich with pickled jalapeños (yes) and kettle chips (OMG yes).
This sandwich is the perfect combo of sweet, savory, spicy, crunchy, and veggie-packed. It’s everything I craved during my latest pregnancy with baby Lachlan, and am still craving even just 6 days postpartum. Although this beautiful sandwich is vegetarian, it still packs 15g of protein and will keep you full and satisfied after lunch! Of course, I included tons of easy ways to customize this apple cheese sandwich, including adding extra protein. Pile it high and remember to leave a comment after you try this amazing combo!
Ingredients in the perfect cheddar apple sandwich
We’re taking a regular apple cheese sandwich and dressing it up with fresh vegetables, sweet & spicy toppings, and of course, potato chips for that irresistible crunch. Here’s everything you’ll need to make it:
- Bread: I love good toasty sourdough bread, but feel free to use any bread you’d like for this sandwich!
- Produce: we’re piling this sandwich high with sliced red onion, Honeycrisp apple, and zippy arugula.
- Pickled jalapeños: the kick of heat from pickled jalapeños is just *chefs kiss*.
- Sauce: I like to add sweetness and tang from honey and grainy dijon mustard.
- Cheese: can’t forget that sharp cheddar cheese for delicious savory flavor.
- Kettle chips: who doesn’t love chips on their sandwich?! I love adding kettle potato chips for the ultimate crunch and salty bite.
Customize your sandwich
You can truly make this cheddar apple sandwich your own with ingredients you have on hand. Here are some great ways to customize it:
- For the bread: as I mentioned, feel free to use your favorite bread to make the sandwich. Keep it gluten free with a gluten free loaf, or feel free to wrap it all up in your favorite tortilla or collard wrap!
- For the cheese: this is technically an apple cheddar sandwich, but you can use any cheese you’d like. I think pepper jack would add the perfect extra kick.
- For the chips: have fun adding in your favorite chips! I opted for regular kettle potato chips because of all of the flavors going on in the sandwich, but cheddar Sun Chips or a spicy potato chip would be delicious.
- For the sauce: not a mustard fan? Swap in some mayo (maybe a chipotle mayo?!) instead! You could also use hot honey for more heat.
- For the produce: spinach would be a great swap for arugula, and I think creamy avocado would make a wonderful addition. You can, of course, use any type of apple you’d like on this sandwich!
An easy vegan option
Feel free to use your favorite vegan cheese slice or simply leave the cheese off of the sandwich. It will still be delicious!
Not a fan of spice?
No worries! Simply omit the pickled jalapeños. This would make the cheese and apple sandwich kid-friendly, too!
Add your fav proteins
You can absolutely increase protein or use up some extra meat from your fridge if you’d like! Feel free to add a few slices of your favorite meat like honey or maple ham/turkey (or leftover pulled turkey or chicken!)
I think crispy bacon would also be a delicious addition.
Bonus: the best DIY sandwich bread
Feeling adventurous? Try my homemade seedy sandwich bread recipe for and extra delicious baking project! It toasts up beautifully and holds up well to all of these amazing toppings.
The best apple cheese sandwich in 4 steps
- Toast your bread. I recommend broiling your bread in the oven for a couple of minutes until it’s nice and golden brown.
- Melt the cheese. Flip the bread slices over, add your cheese to one slice, and broil again for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Assemble the sandwich. Next, top the cheese side with the pickled jalapeños, and add the mustard & honey to the other slice of bread. Then top with the rest of your sandwich ingredients.
- Press, slice & devour. Carefully close the sandwich and press down slightly to crunch the chips. Then slice and enjoy!
More sandwiches & wraps you’ll love
I hope you love this spicy cheddar apple sandwich! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
The Ultimate Spicy Cheddar & Apple Fall Veggie Sandwich
The ULTIMATE spicy cheddar apple sandwich filled with bright veggies and hint of crunch from kettle potato chips. This wonderful fall veggie sandwich is packed with flavor and a kick of heat from pickled jalapeños. The perfect satisfying lunch to make during the week that’s easy to customize with your fav sandwich toppings!
- 2 slices of sourdough bread (or your favorite bread!)
- 1-2 ounces sliced sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon grainy dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- 10 slices pickled jalapeños
- 5-6 thin slices of red onion
- ¼ honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced
- ½ cup kettle potato chips
- ¼ cup arugula
Place both slices of bread on a small baking sheet and broil on high in the oven for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned. (Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn!)
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the sliced bread over. Cover only one piece of bread with sliced cheddar cheese, then return the pan to the broiler for another 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Remove the pan from the oven and top the melted cheese slice with pickled jalapeños. Spread the plain slice of bread with dijon mustard, then drizzle on honey. Top with apple slices, red onion, arugula, and kettle chips.
Carefully close the sandwich and gently press down until the chips crunch. Slice in half and enjoy!
See the full post for more delicious ways to customize your sandwich!
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats