It’s officially apple season, baby! And since it’s always and forever pancake season, I decided a couple of years back to combine my love for both into a cozy, apple pancake that’s fluffy, gluten free and nutritious.
Are you down, OR ARE YOU DOWN.
I’m not sure if you remember my banana oatmeal pancakes, but it’s one of my favorite recipes to use those spotty ripe bananas that spend a few too many days on the counter. Plus they’re packed with protein and nutritious for the kiddos and even toddlers! So I figured, why not try an apple version out?
And now we’re here with these glorious fluffy healthy apple pancakes.
The best part? The batter is made right in your blender making them a breeze to whip up!
What’s in these apple pancakes?
You’re going to LOVE how simple and delicious these healthy apple pancakes are. Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- Applesauce: a little unsweetened applesauce gives the pancakes the perfect amount of moisture and apple flavor. If you’re feeling up to it, you can always stir in 1/2 cup of diced apple pieces, but I prefer to reserve those for a sauteed apple topping. See below for deets on the best topping!
- Eggs: you’ll also need two eggs in this recipe.
- Oats: instead of any flour in this pancake recipe you’ll just need some old fashioned rolled oats. Use gluten free ones to keep the pancakes gluten free, if you’d like!
- Milk: feel free to use any milk you’d like! I like using unsweetened almond milk.
- Sweetener: these healthy apple pancakes are naturally sweetened with a little pure maple syrup. Don’t forget to save some for drizzling! You’ll also need some vanilla extract.
- Baking powder: remember to use baking powder, not soda, so that these pancakes get super fluffy.
- Spices: for the coziest flavor we’re adding cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and a pinch of salt.
- Olive oil: I find that cooking pancakes in olive oil gives them the best texture. You could also use butter or vegan butter.
How to make healthy apple pancakes in the blender
These apple pancakes couldn’t be easier to make. Remember to check out our best tips & tricks for making pancakes here, too!
- Blend the ingredients. Start by adding all of the ingredients for these pancakes to a blender and blend until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Prep your pan. Add olive oil or coconut oil to a griddle or large nonstick pan and place over medium heat.
- Cook your pancakes. Add pancake batter to the pan 1/3 cup at a time. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and tiny bubbles appear around the edges. Flip and cook 2 minute more.
- Serve & enjoy! Serve pancakes with sauteed cinnamon apples, pecans and pure maple syrup for a delicious, healthy breakfast.
Don’t forget the dreamy apple topping
Jazz up your apple pancakes with some wonderful sauteed cinnamon apples! Add the following to a saucepan over medium heat:
- 3/4 cup diced apple
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- a sprinkle of cinnamon
Once the apples begin to cook down a bit remove them from the heat and top your pancakes. YUM. They’re also delicious with a drizzle of nut butter, chopped or candied pecans and a hearty drizzle of maple syrup.
How to keep pancakes warm
You can absolutely make these apple pancakes ahead of time and keep them warm in the oven. Simply place oven at 200 degrees F, then add pancakes to a platter or oven-safe plate and place in the oven until ready to serve.
Freezer-friendly apple pancakes
If you want to make your healthy apple pancakes ahead of time and serve them at a later date, you can place the pancakes on a baking sheet so they aren’t touching and place in the freezer for 30 minutes, then place them in freezer safe containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Once ready to reheat, simply add pancakes to a plate and microwave for 30-60 seconds or until warm. This is a great option for kids or if you want to have a make ahead breakfast on hand.
Our favorite pancake tools
See all of our kitchen essentials here.
More pancake recipes you’ll love
Get all of our delicious pancake recipes here!
I hope you love these healthy apple pancakes! If you try them please leave a comment below and rate the recipe below to let me know how you liked it. You can also tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram with your creations!
Healthy Apple Pancakes (made right in the blender!)
Healthy apple pancakes made right in the blender! These fluffy gluten free apple pancakes are made with oats, applesauce, a touch of maple syrup and cinnamon for the most delicious healthy breakfast.
unsweetened almond milk
pure maple syrup
- 1 ½
old fashioned rolled oats, gluten free if desired
- Olive oil, for cooking
Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend on high until completely smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Let the batter sit in your blender while you heat your pan up. If batter is WAY too thick, you may need to add a few extra tablespoons of milk to the blender.
Lightly coat a griddle with coconut oil, vegan butter or olive oil and place over a medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add about 1/3 cup of the batter to the griddle for each pancake and cook for 2-4 minutes until pancakes slightly puff up and you see a few bubbles along the edges.
Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside. If you find that pancakes are browning too quickly, then you need to lower the heat. I normally start on medium heat, then reduce to medium low later so that my pancakes don’t burn. If at any point your griddle starts smoking, it means your pan is too hot. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more oil and remaining batter. Makes 6 pancakes total. Serves 3, 2 pancakes each.
Optional for the topping: Add 3/4 cup diced apple + 1 tablespoon butter + 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup + a sprinkle of cinnamon to a saucepan and saute over medium heat until apples begin to cook down a bit. Serve over pancakes if desired!
Servings: 3 servings
Serving size: 2 pancakes
Saturated fat: 1.6g
This post was originally published on September 16, 2019 and republished on September 26, 2021.