Yep, I said it: beans in your brownies. Brownie in a muffin. Totally a thing. Totally amazing. Trust me… please?
I first made these amazing black bean muffins about 4 years ago and was shocked at how fudgy and delicious they turned out. They were inspired by my famous avocado black bean brownies and being the Muffin Queen that I am, I wanted to turn them into muffins for a wonderful treat or snack. These babies are naturally sweetened with a little maple syrup (or honey) and have the most perfect texture. Plus, they just so happen to be gluten free, grain free and dairy free!
They’re seriously full of chocolate love and you will never ever be able to tell that they’re made with black beans. PROMISE. Surprise your kiddos, friends or significant other with this sneaky healthy treat and watch them devour!
What do black bean muffins taste like?
I promise you won’t be able to taste the black beans AT ALL in these delicious black bean brownie muffins. They seriously taste just like a fudgy brownie with the perfect amount of sweetness and melted chocolate in every bite.
Not only do they taste delicious, but they’re also packed with fiber and protein, and are gluten free and grain free thanks to the black beans.
Everything you’ll need to make these black bean muffins
These delicious, healthy black bean muffins use super simple ingredients and are full of rich brownie flavor. Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- Black beans: you’ll use a full can of black beans as the base of these muffins! This is what allows them to be flourless and grain free.
- Eggs: the three eggs help the brownie muffins hold their shape. I would not suggest trying a vegan egg or egg replacer as the eggs are key to the consistency of the brownie muffins.
- Sweetener: because we don’t really want them to taste like beans, you’ll need some pure maple syrup or honey to sweeten them.
- Coconut oil: add a little coconut oil for the perfect amount of moisture.
- Cocoa powder: I recommend using a high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder for that rich chocolatey flavor.
- Baking staples: you’ll also need vanilla extract (learn how to make your own here!), baking powder, and salt.
- Optional mix-ins: I like to add a tiny bit of brewed coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor, plus dark chocolate chips! Feel free to use dairy free chocolate chips to keep the muffins dairy free.
Can I use different beans?
Black beans have a very neutral flavor to them in baked goods, so I suggest sticking with the recipe as-is. Feel free to use a can of chickpeas in these flourless peanut butter chickpea muffins!
How to get a cake-like texture
If you like more of a cake-like consistency rather than a fudgy one, simply use 4 eggs instead of 3!
Delicious black bean muffins in 5 steps
Another cool thing about these black bean brownie muffins is that you don’t need any mixing tools — just a food processor!
- Blend the beans. You’ll start by blending the black beans with 1 of the eggs in a food processor until they’re nice and smooth.
- Blend the wet ingredients. Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the food processor and process until well incorporated.
- Blend the dry. Finally, add in the dry ingredients and process the batter once more. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter & bake. Once your batter is ready to go, divide it into prepared muffin cups in your muffin tin, sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake.
- Cool & enjoy. Let the muffins cool completely, then enjoy!
Store & freeze them for later
- To store: feel free to keep these black bean muffins at room temp for one day, then I recommend storing them in the refrigerator. They seriously taste like fudge brownies when they’re stored in the fridge! Feel free to warm them up in the microwave.
- To freeze: allow the muffins to cool completely then put in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Once ready to reheat, you can thaw at room temperature, or heat up in the microwave in 30 second intervals.
More healthy muffin recipes you’ll love
Get all of my amazing muffin recipes here!
If you make these flourless black bean brownie muffins, be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Flourless Black Bean Brownie Muffins
Incredible, flourless black bean muffins that taste like a delicious, cakey brownie. That’s right, the secret ingredient in these easy, fiber packed brownie muffins is black beans! They’re dairy, gluten and grain free and the perfect healthy treat or snack.
(15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
pure maple syrup (or sub honey)
coconut oil, melted and cooled
brewed coffee, optional to enhance chocolate flavor
high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder (or use cacao powder)
dark chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with baking liners and spray the inside of each liner with nonstick cooking spray.
Place black beans and 1 egg in food processor and process until beans are well blended.
Add two other eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and coffee; process again until smooth.
Next add in cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; process once more until smooth. Next fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips evenly among the tops of each muffin batter.
Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffins comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Keep muffins for a day at room temperature, then transfer to fridge and place in an airtight container.
*Use 4 eggs instead of 3 if you’d like a more cake like consistency.
Servings: 12 muffins
Serving size: 1 muffin
This post was originally published on July 11th, 2018, and republished on January 17th, 2022.