Are you looking for an easy-to-make recipe that’s perfect for chilly days?
This hearty chicken taco soup recipe is packed with chunks of lean chicken, corn, beans, and other vegetables, along with just the right amount of kick from taco seasoning.
Filling and nutritious, it’s also incredibly quick and easy to make.
Tasty Taco Soup
- Packed with protein and fiber from beans, corn, and chicken, as well as other tasty veggies, this soup is a flavorful way to fuel your body.
- It’s delicious with a flavorful broth and a little kick that will satisfy your cravings.
- This recipe is versatile; you can add corn flour to make the broth thicker and heartier, or skip the beans and corn to make it keto-friendly.
- This soup is quick and easy to make, ready to eat in just 35 minutes!
Ingredients for Chicken Taco Soup
Chicken – The best results come from using bite-sized chunks of skinless, boneless chicken breast. However, shredded cooked chicken, ground beef or chicken, or chicken thighs also work if that’s what you have on hand.
Vegetables – To make things easy, this soup uses canned crushed tomatoes, black beans, and frozen corn. Addin other favorites like red bell peppers
Seasoning – To give this soup the right kick of heat, use a packet of taco seasoning or try homemade taco seasoning or fajita seasoning for a little sweetness. Up the spice with dice jalapenos, or add in your own favorite seasonings like chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, or chipotle powder.
Toppings – Put the finishing touch on taco bowl of soup with crumbled tortilla chips, a dollop of sour cream, or shredded cheddar and fresh lime wedges. A garnish of chopped fresh cilantro, jalapenos, or diced tomatoes will add a pop of color and flavor.
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup
This soup is quick and easy with these simple steps.
- Saute the onion & garlic in oil. (per recipe below)
- Add the rest of the ingredients & simmer for 15 minutes.
- For a thicker broth you can stir in a cornstarch slurry but I don’t usually need it.
Serve hot with your favorite toppings.
What to Serve With Chicken Taco Soup
Looking for some serving ideas for this chicken taco soup? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Garnish your soup with crumbled tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, or a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Serve the soup with warm tortillas or fresh cornbread on the side.
- For a heartier meal, top your soup with avocado slices or chunks, or add a side salad to round out the dish.
Storing Taco Soup
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Simply reheat and enjoy for a quick and easy meal anytime.
Did your family love this Chicken Taco Soup recipe? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Easy Chicken Taco Soup
Easy Chicken Taco Soup tastes just like chicken tacos. It’s hearty and healthy, and this stovetop version is incredibly easy to make!
Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
Add garlic, onions, and bell peppers, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent and soft.
Add chicken, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, frozen corn, black beans, and taco seasoning.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Taste the soup and season with salt if desired.
- This soup is versatile, so feel free to add your favorite vegetables to the mix, or adjust the seasoning to suit your taste.
- You can use shredded cooked chicken instead of bite-sized chunks for an even quicker prep time.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Calories: 440 | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 1774mg | Potassium: 1502mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1204IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 5mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.