Crockpot Swiss steak is one of those rich, hearty, meaty dinner recipes that has stood the test of time!
Savory Beef Steaks
- ‘Swissed’ means to roll or pound the meat, tenderizing it so it cooks up tender just like the veggies!
- This version of swiss steaks cooks in the slow cooker for the perfect set it and forget it meal.
- Much like the beef in a stew recipe, these steaks become fork tender by cooking low and slow.
- This recipe freezes and reheats well.
Ingredients for Crock Pot Swiss Steak
MEAT: Traditionally, Swiss steak comes from inside round or cube steaks. These cuts become tender when cooked low and slow.
VEGGIES: Use veggies like onions, peppers, carrots, and celery.
Add in mushrooms, green beans, or fresh green peas if you’d like.
SAUCE: Diced or crushed tomatoes and beef broth are paired with flavorful ingredients to make a thick tomato gravy.
Add diced canned tomatoes to this sauce or crushed tomatoes for a smoother sauce. If you prefer extra sauce, you can add extra tomatoes.
How to Make Crockpot Swiss Steak
- Place veggies & garlic in a slow cooker (per the full recipe below).
- Pound steaks & lightly coat them in flour.
- Brown them in a skillet and place them in the crockpot.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours on low. Serve immediately with sauce.
What to Serve with Swiss Steak
Serve Swiss steak and gravy over any of the following:
- For best results, store Swiss steaks in their sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat steaks with sauce in a sauce pan on the stove or in the microwave.
- Freeze steaks and sauce in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks.
Our Fave Crockpot Recipes
Did you make these Crockpot Swiss Steaks? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Crockpot Swiss Steaks
Tender pieces of steak are slow-cooked with a rich tomato brown gravy!
Add sliced carrots, celery, onion, & garlic to the bottom of a slow cooker.
Pound steaks with a meat tenderizer to ¼ inch thickness and season with salt and pepper (cube steaks do not need to be pounded). Put flour in a shallow dish or plate and dredge each steak in the flour mixture.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and brown steaks on both sides, about 2 minutes per side adding more oil if needed.
In the same pan, add wine and scrape up any brown bits. Add to the slow cooker with remaining ingredients except for the cornstarch.
Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high or until steaks are fork tender.
Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles.
For extra sauce, an additional can of tomatoes can be added.
Optional: To thicken the sauce, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Bring the sauce to a simmer on the stove and add a little at a time to thicken.
Calories: 281, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 29g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 71mg, Sodium: 308mg, Potassium: 838mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 5414IU, Vitamin C: 8mg, Calcium: 54mg, Iron: 4mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword best Crock Pot Swiss Steaks recipe, Crock Pot Swiss Steaks, Crockpot Swiss Steak, how to make Crock Pot Swiss Steaks
Course Beef, Dinner, Entree, Main Course, Slow Cooker