Chicken cordon bleu casserole is a take on a restaurant favorite. If you like cordon bleu, you’ll LOVE this cheesy chicken casserole recipe.
A flavorful homemade creamy, cheesy sauce is tossed with pasta, chicken, and ham. It’s all topped with buttery breadcrumbs and baked until bubbly.
Prep ahead and pop it in the oven for an easy meal any day of the week.
Easy Creamy Casserole
This easy casserole recipe is a take on our favorite classic chicken cordon bleu recipe.
- No need to stuff & roll chicken breasts, this easy casserole is just stuffed with flavor.
- The sauce is made from scratch, no canned condensed cream of chicken soup is required.
- This casserole can be made ahead of time and baked just before serving.
- Not only does this dish look impressive, but the flavor is outstanding with a cheesy white sauce and crispy golden panko topping.
Ingredients in Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Chicken & Ham – Use cooked chicken for this recipe. I keep this shredded chicken in my freezer but rotisserie chicken, or even leftover turkey work just as well!
Use leftover ham from last night’s dinner or purchase an inexpensive ham steak at the grocery store.
Homemade Cheese Sauce – This is an easy homemade cordon bleu sauce with lots of flavor. It starts with a base of milk and chicken broth (any kind of milk works) which is thickened. It’s seasoned with a bit of dijon, thyme, sherry, and Worcestershire sauce. If you don’t have cooking sherry, you can add a bit of white wine in place.
Cheese – Swiss cheese is traditional in chicken cordon bleu and gives this dish its well-known flavor. The addition of either Monterey or white cheddar rounds out the flavor so the swiss cheese so it doesn’t overpower the whole dish. You can use any mild cheese in place of Monterey jack (like mozzarella or provolone).
Pasta – For the pasta in this recipe, use medium noodles, like ziti, rotini, penne, or even egg noodles. A couple of cups of rice can also be substituted or try roasted cauliflower florets for a low carb version.
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Make the homemade cheese sauce (per recipe below).
- Cook the pasta al dente.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, ham, pasta, and sauce.
- Place into a baking dish and sprinkle with the topping mixture. Bake until bubbly.
Tips for a Great Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Don’t skip the shredded swiss cheese in this chicken cordon bleu casserole recipe, it gives this dish its signature flavor.
- Cooking sherry can be substituted with sweet white wine if needed.
- Cook the pasta al dente, it will cook a bit more as it bakes.
- Allow the casserole to rest for about 10 minutes before serving to thicken the sauce.
- Prep ahead and wrap it in plastic wrap. This recipe can be kept in the fridge for 48 hours before baking.
Can You Freeze Cordon Bleu Casserole?
- Cordon bleu casserole is the perfect dish for making ahead of time and freezing. Therefore, leftovers are also great for tossing in the freezer and having ready for a quick dinner or for a pack-and-go lunch.
- To freeze, place it in an airtight container. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, allow the casserole to thaw in the refrigerator. Then cover with aluminum foil, preheat the oven to 325°F, and bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
More Cordon Bleu Favorites
Did you love this Cordon Bleu Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
This is an easy chicken cordon bleu because everything goes into the casserole dish together!
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in chicken broth and milk a little bit at a time until smooth. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens, about 7 minutes. Let boil 1 minute.
Add in sherry, Dijon, Worcestershire, garlic powder, thyme, and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in Swiss & Monterey Jack cheeses.
Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Do not overcook. Combine pasta, chicken, ham, and sauce. Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Combine melted butter, Panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese & parsley. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until hot and the top is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
For the chicken, use rotisserie or cooked chicken breasts.
Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days, and will keep in the freezer up to 3 months.
If making ahead for freezer or refrigerator, leave off the topping and add before cooking.
To reheat, cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes in a preheated oven set at 325°F.
Calories: 590 | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 777mg | Potassium: 405mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 622IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 392mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.