Apple hand pies are the perfectly portable way to enjoy a mini apple pie!
This recipe has warm spiced apple pie filling wrapped up in a flaky crust. It’s a taste of autumn that’s easier than pie!
An Easy Hand Pie Recipe
- Hand pies are easy to make, and fun to eat warm or cold.
- They are fun to customize. Make different flavors of apple hand pies using caramel, cranberry, or any kind of fruit that strikes your fancy!
- Make this as a shortcut recipe by using store bought crust and pie filling or make your own from scratch for a homemade version.
- Lots of ways to cook these tiny pies! Try them baked or air fried, or even use a toaster oven.
Ingredients in Apple Hand Pie
Make this from scratch or with a shortcut!
APPLES This recipe calls for apple pie filling and you can make your own or buy a can. If you do buy apple pie filling, chop up the apples before adding to the crust.
CRUST Prepared pie crust or homemade crust can be used. Just roll it out and cut it into circles.
SPICE Cinnamon or apple pie spice adds the perfect bit of warmth to this recipe. For an extra sweet dose of flavor, use cinnamon sugar instead!
- Use any pie filling for this recipe like peaches, blueberries, or even fill with strawberry rhubarb.
- Puff pastry is also an option and will result in a dessert that is more like a turnover.
- Drizzle with a quick and easy glaze made with powdered sugar and milk or water, if desired.
How to Make Hand Pies
This is the easiest recipe to make, and little ones love to help bake (and eat) tiny food that’s just their size!
- Roll out pie crusts & cut into circles.
- Add filling to the center of each circle, fold over the dough & crimp around the edges with a fork.
- Cut slits in the top and bake per the recipe below until golden brown.
These can also be baked in an air fryer in batches at 350°F for about 8-10 minutes.
Hand-held apple pies will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, but the sooner you eat them, the better!
These little desserts are also very freezer-friendly. Simply wrap each pie in plastic wrap, then store in a zippered freezer bag. Whenever the hankering for fresh homemade apple pie hits, just grab one from the freezer and heat it up in the microwave, flipping after 30 seconds. For a crisper crust, heat it in the air fryer or oven.
More Pies, Please!
Did you make these Apple Hand Pies? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Apple Hand Pies
Apple Hand Pies are a flaky hand-held dessert, full of warm Autumn spices!
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Chop apple pie filling into small pieces and mix with cinnamon. Beat the egg with milk until combined.
Roll out the pie dough to ⅛” thick and using a 4-inch circle cutter, cut out 10 circles.
Add 1 ½ tablespoons of the apple pie filling to each circle.
Brush egg wash around the edges and fold over the dough making a half circle. Use a fork to crimp the edges firmly together. Make two slits on the top of the pie.
Brush with the remaining egg wash and bake for 12 minutes.
To Make Homemade Pie Filling
- Chop and peel 4 medium apples. Place in a shallow skillet with ⅓ cup sugar, 3 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons each butter and water, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Cover and cook 4-6 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Combine 4 teaspoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and add a little at a time to the simmering apples to thicken. You may not need all of the mixture.
- Cool completely before using.
Any pie filling can be used in this recipe.
Serving: 1pie, Calories: 269, Carbohydrates: 38g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 16mg, Sodium: 214mg, Potassium: 80mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 8g, Vitamin A: 42IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 22mg, Iron: 1mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword Apple Hand Pie recipe, hand pie