You’d never believe this vegan frittata was egg-free! Made with southwestern spiced veggies and hearty potatoes in a seasoned tofu base and baked to perfection…it’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even a light dinner.
I’m a big fan of savory vegan breakfasts! I think it’s because I missed out on savory breakfasts while I was growing up, being an egg-hater. Well, the good news for me is that vegan breakfasts are eggless by default. But that doesn’t mean that if you love eggs you’ll miss out — this vegan frittata totally satisfied my husband’s egg cravings.
What You’ll Need
- Extra-firm tofu. I don’t recommend substituting another type of tofu here — using extra firm will ensure your frittata sets up and has perfect texture.
- Soy sauce. You can substitute with gluten-free tamari or liquid aminos if needed.
- Nutritional yeast flakes. Look for these in the natural foods section of your supermarket. They’ll add a savory, almost cheesy flavor to the frittata.
- Turmeric. This is simply to add a yellow color to your frittata, making it look more like a traditional one. You can leave it out if you’d like.
- Olive oil. You can use another high-heat oil if you’d like, but olive will give your frittata the best flavor.
- Potato. The recipe calls for a russet potato. Feel free to sub red or yellow potatoes if you’d like.
- Red onion.
- Bell pepper. I like my frittata made with a red bell pepper, but any color will do.
- Spices. We’re using cumin, paprika, and ancho chile powder.
- Cherry tomatoes.
- Salt. Helpful tip: if you’d like to add eggy flavor to your frittata, use kala namak, a type of salt with a high sulfur content — you can usually find it in Indian markets.
- Black pepper.
- Fresh cilantro. Try substituting with scallions if you’re not a fan of cilantro.
How to Make a Vegan Frittata
The following is a detailed photo tutorial on how to make this dish. Scroll all the way down if you’d prefer to skip to the recipe!
- Place your tofu, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, and turmeric into a blender or food processor bowl.
- Blend everything together until the mixture is smooth. It will be very thick!
- Heat up some olive oil in a skillet. If you have an oven safe 10-inch skillet, use it! You can take it straight from the stove to the oven when it’s time to bake the frittata. Otherwise, begin preheating a baking dish in the oven.
- Add diced potato to your skillet and cook it for about 10 minutes, giving it a stir every so often, until the pieces begin to crisp up.
- Stir in diced onion and cook it with the potato for a few minutes, until it softens a bit. Then stir in diced bell pepper, garlic, and spices. Cook everything for a just a minute more before taking the skillet off the heat. Test your potato with a fork to make sure it’s done — it should be easy to pierce.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes (halved) and chopped fresh cilantro. You can also season the mixture with salt or kala namak and black pepper at this point. Go easy with the kala namak as it’s pretty potent! You can always add more at the table it you’d like.
- If you’re using an oven-safe skillet, immediately fold in your tofu mixture right into the skillet. This needs to be done right away while the skillet is still hot in order for the frittata to set. If you got sidetracked and it cooled down, heat it back up on the stove. If you’ve got a dish preheating in the oven, transfer both your vegetables and tofu mixture to the dish and mix it up.
- Pop the skillet or baking dish in the oven and bake your frittata until it’s set.
- Let the frittata sit for a few minutes before slicing it up and serving it.
Leftovers & Storage
Leftover frittata can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is if you make it with gluten-free tamari in place of soy sauce.
Nope! But you can absolutely peel them if you’d prefer to.
Try sliced avocado, salsa, ketchup, or hot sauce!
More Vegan Egg Recipes
Like this recipe? If so, be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my newsletter. And please stop back and leave me a review and rating below if you make it!
Vegan Frittata with Tofu & Southwestern Veggies
Sautéed veggies and southwestern spices are mixed up with a savory mix of blended tofu and seasonings to make this flavor-packed vegan frittata.
(14 ounce or 400 gram) package
extra firm tofu,
soy sauce or tamari
nutritional yeast flakes
small russet potato,
cut into ½ inch cubes
chopped red onion
small bell pepper, any color,
ancho chile powder
- Salt or kala namak,
- Black pepper
chopped fresh cilantro
Place the tofu, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, and turmeric into the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Coat the bottom of a medium (10-inch) oven-safe skillet*, with oil and place it over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the potato.
Cook the potato until it begins to crisp, about 10 minutes, flipping it occasionally.
Add the onion and cook it with the potato for about 3 minutes more, until it begins to soften.
Add the garlic, bell pepper, cumin, paprika, and ancho chile powder. Continue cooking and stirring everything for about 2 minutes, until the garlic is very fragrant.
Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the cherry tomatoes and cilantro. Season the mixture with salt or kala namak and pepper to taste.
Scoop the tofu mixture directly into the skillet** and fold everything together.
Bake until the frittata is set in the middle and browned on top, 30-35 minutes.
Remove the frittata from the oven and allow it to sit for a few minutes before cutting.
Serve with toppings of choice.
*If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, place a 8 x 8 baking dish into the oven to preheat at this time.
**If you’re not using an oven safe skillet, transfer the tofu and potato mixtures to your preheated baking dish and mix them together right in the dish.
Vegan Frittata with Tofu & Southwestern Veggies
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1.3g7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.