The Vegetarian Resource Group Blog

j

by Sil Pancho

}

10.09.2021


Posted on
October 08, 2021 by
The VRG Blog Editor

By Reed Mangels, PhD, RD

Walk down the candy aisle in a natural foods store or in
many supermarkets and the number of vegan choices is astounding. There are
“mylk” chocolates, dark chocolates, very dark chocolates, and a myriad of
flavored chocolate selections. How do these compare in terms of nutrition?

Chocolate is made from the seeds of a tropical tree called
the cacao tree. The seeds, which are also called beans, are fermented, dried,
roasted, shelled, and ground in the process of making chocolate. The result of
this processing is a thick liquid, called cocoa liquor, that contains fiber,
fat, and protein from the cacao seeds. Cocoa butter is the fat that is produced
from cacao seeds. (Although “butter” may sound like a dairy product, cocoa
butter does not contain dairy.)  Additional
pure cocoa butter is added to the cocoa liquor. Sugar and other ingredients are
also added, and the mixture is formed into chocolate bars.

An ounce of chocolate, whether vegan or not has around 150
to 190 calories. Some chocolate bars may indicate the percentage of chocolate
on the label. The percentage indicates the percent by weight of the product
that is cocoa butter and cocoa solids. For example, a bar that is 71% chocolate
is 71% by weight cocoa butter and cocoa solids. The remaining 29% is mostly
sugar. Generally, the higher the percentage of cocoa butter and cocoa solids,
the (slightly) higher the calories. For example, Equal Exchange 71% has 180
calories in an ounce,  but Equal Exchange
92% has 190 calories per ounce. This difference is insignificant.

Generally, products with higher percentages of cocoa butter
and cocoa solids, have more fat and saturated fat and less added sugar. Those
with lower percentages of cocoa butter and cocoa solids have less fat and more
added sugar.

Additions like mint or orange flavoring have little impact
on a chocolate bar’s nutrient content. Nuts add a small amount of protein and
chocolate bars with salted nuts or sea salt will have more sodium (about 50-100
milligrams more per ounce of chocolate) than those without added salt.

An ounce of dark chocolate provides around 15% of the Daily
Value for iron and magnesium and more than half of the Daily Value for copper.

Reference:

McGee, H. On Food and
Cooking. The Science and Lore of the Kitchen.
New York: Scribner; 2004.

For vegan recipes featuring chocolate see:

https://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2014issue1/2014_issue1_savory_side.php



Source link

HalfwayFoods.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Featured

Related Posts

Vegan caramel brownies – Lazy Cat Kitchen

Hello hello, today I’m swimming against the current and bringing you an unusually (for January) indulgent recipe as I realise that especially those of you who are new to veganism may still, deep-down, have this belief that vegan food is diet food.It all depends...

read more

Homemade Fruit Leather – 5 Ways

Oh My Veggies » Snack Recipes Published: Jan 12, 2022 · by Nicole · Updated: Jan 12, 2022 · This post may contain affiliate links. Fruit leather is the ultimate on-the-go snack. It's deliciously sweet, conveniently packable, and mostly healthy. And it's also...

read more
Follow Us

Comments

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Vegan caramel brownies – Lazy Cat Kitchen

Vegan caramel brownies – Lazy Cat Kitchen

Hello hello, today I’m swimming against the current and bringing you an unusually (for January) indulgent recipe as I realise that especially those of you who are new to veganism may still, deep-down, have this belief that vegan food is diet food.It all depends...

Homemade Fruit Leather – 5 Ways

Homemade Fruit Leather – 5 Ways

Oh My Veggies » Snack Recipes Published: Jan 12, 2022 · by Nicole · Updated: Jan 12, 2022 · This post may contain affiliate links. Fruit leather is the ultimate on-the-go snack. It's deliciously sweet, conveniently packable, and mostly healthy. And it's also...

Easiest Ever Vegan Vegetable Lo Mein

Easiest Ever Vegan Vegetable Lo Mein

This post may contain affiliate links, so if you buy from a link we may earn a commission at no cost to you This vegetable lo mein is almost as easy as ordering from your favourite takeaway and definitely much healthier. It’s ready to eat in just twenty minutes...