Our garlic butter chicken is a super easy stovetop chicken recipe consisting of tender, juicy chicken tenders topped with a garlic butter sauce that is all ready in just 10 minutes!
This chicken is so rich and buttery and the whole recipe can be made in one skillet which is always a win! A quick meal with an easy cleanup is what I need e’ry day!
You all know we love to get our kids in the kitchen and this is my oldest’s favorite chicken recipe. It is one of her go-to recipes when it’s her turn to make dinner.
Do you all cook with your kiddos? I know, it’s more work, more mess, and more stress…at least in the beginning. But I swear that it will change your lives, your relationships, and in the process, you’ll create capable and self-sufficient children. Not to mention the memories you’ll share forever.
Now I picture Peyton making this recipe in college and for her own family someday. That’s just pure joy for me! I’m getting sidetracked, but cook with your kids, people! You’ll never regret it!
Ok, back to this chicken…it doesn’t take many ingredients to make this easy chicken recipe. Most of these will be items you already have on hand. Here is your ingredients list:
- Chicken Tenders – cook quickly, white meat that is similar meat to the chicken breast but smaller
- Smoked Paprika – you can use regular paprika instead, but we just love the smoky flavor of the smoked paprika
- Poultry Seasoning – Montreal chicken seasoning is a great option
- Butter – adds so much richness and is the base for the sauce
- Garlic – packs all the flavor, use fresh and mince it
- Italian Seasoning Blend – you can buy an Italian seasoning blend or create your own, it is typically made of a blend of oregano, basil, thyme and rosemary (and occasionally marjoram)
- Cooking White Wine – you can absolutely use regular white wine (use a dry wine) or chicken broth if you don’t want to use alcohol
- Salt and Pepper – flavor
- Lemon Juice – fresh is best of course
- Parsley – fresh, minced fine
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Here are a few tips for making this recipe:
- Use a cast iron skillet. If you don’t have one, a regular skillet will get the job done, but a cast iron skillet just sears so beautifully!
- Season the chicken tenders with the smoked paprika, poultry season and S & P before cooking and let it rest.
- Let the chicken get a good sear on it. Don’t mess with it, let it get golden and delicious!
- Deglaze! Whether you are using wine or broth, deglazing the pan after cooking the chicken brings all the flavor and is crucial to the success of this dish.
- Hitting the chicken with some salt and lemon juice at the end brightens up the dish and adds a whole new layer of flavor.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts or Thighs?
You can absolutely use thighs or breasts. Your cook time will be longer so it won’t be as quick, but the flavor will still be fantastic.
If you go with thighs (use 3-4), you’ll want to sear the chicken on the first side for about 5-7 minutes and then flip and cook for another 4-5.
If you go with breasts (use 2-3), pound them out so that they are an even thickness, and then sear on the first side for 6-8 minutes and then on the other side for another 4-5.
What If I Don’t Have a Cast Iron Pan?
It’s okay! You should buy a cast iron pan, but it’s ok. The best substitutes for a cast iron skillet are a stainless steel skillet or a dutch oven. You want a pan that can get super hot and conducts heat well.
Can I Make this Recipe Dairy Free?
Yes, but butter, oh butter…it’s so so good! If you have to substitute it for dietary reasons, you can swap it 1:1 with olive oil or ghee.
Grab some chicken tenders and whip up this quick and easy chicken dinner! The whole family is going to love this garlic butter chicken.
More QUICK AND EASY DINNER IDEAS:
- 6 Chicken Tenders
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning Montreal chicken works well
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 6 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Blend
- 1/2 Cup Cooking White Wine chicken broth or actual white wine
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Parsley fresh, chopped to garnish
Season the chicken tenders with smoked paprika, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat a cast-iron skillet on medium high heat and add a good drizzle of olive oil. Add the chicken tenders. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until browning, then turn over and start cooking the other side, about another 2 minutes. Push the chicken tenders to the side of the skillet, away from the high heat.
Add the cooking white wine and using a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits and deglaze the pan.
Add the butter followed by the garlic and Italian seasoning on top of the chicken tenders and stir to combine well.
Add salt if needed and lemon juice and continue to cook the chicken tenders until they are slightly charred on the both sides and cooked through.
Add the chopped parsley, stir to combine well. Turn off the heat and serve with an additional squeeze of lemon.
Garlic Butter Chicken
Amount Per Serving (4 ounces)
Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8g50%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Vitamin A 696IU14%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.