FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This colorful sugar free sprinkles recipe will be a total game changer in the appearance of your low carb treats! While regular sprinkles are full of sugar and corn syrup, these homemade keto sprinkles are a healthy and sugar free option. They are a fun zero carb way to brighten any dessert.
Mix up just a few ingredients, add your food coloring of choice and then pipe and let them dry. Voila, healthy sprinkles for keto cakes and more! They also make a great holiday gift for a keto baker.
For sprinkles that pipe smoothly and won’t take on a gritty texture, a sweetener that dissolves completely is key. Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend is the only one I recommend because it dissolves easily (unlike every other keto sweetener) and tastes just like sugar — with 0g net carbs! If you don’t have any on hand, regular Besti sweetener will work as well, since that dissolves almost as well.
Are Sprinkles Keto?
No, most sprinkles are not keto friendly, as they are made from a mixture of corn syrup, sugar, cornstarch, and artificial flavors and colors. Even homemade sprinkles recipes (typically made with royal icing, a hard icing made from softly beaten egg whites) are loaded with sugar. On the other hand, these keto rainbow sprinkles use a royal icing that uses a natural low carb sweetener, to keep them sugar-free.
Why You’ll Love This Sugar Free Sprinkles Recipe
- Classic sweet flavor
- Crunchy texture
- Bright colors, but artificial dye free
- Made with only 4 clean ingredients
- Zero carbs per serving
- Gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free
- Adds fun to any low carb dessert!
Sugar Free Sprinkles Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for homemade sugar free sprinkles, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Egg white – After whipping, this will form the bulk of our sprinkles. You’ll need one egg white from a large egg. It’s fine to substitute carton egg whites if you like.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – This natural sweetener tastes and actually dissolves just like real sugar, so it works great for these sugar free keto sprinkles. You can also substitute regular crystallized Besti sweetener or powdered allulose, since those also dissolve well. I don’t recommend erythritol-based sweeteners, such as Swerve or Lakanto, because they don’t dissolve fully and can lead to a gritty texture.
- Vanilla extract – Use a high quality vanilla for best flavor. Alternatively, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice to brighten the flavor.
- Sea salt – To balance out the sweetness. Don’t worry, the sprinkles don’t taste salty.
- Natural food coloring – I love this brand because it’s 100% natural and the colors come out bright and vibrant. I personally do not use artificial food coloring, but from a recipe standpoint it will work fine. Whatever brand you use, powdered works best so that the sprinkles can dry well, but a few drops of liquid food coloring might be okay — I haven’t tried that yet.
How To Make Sugar Free Sprinkles
This section shows how to make keto friendly sprinkles, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Color. Divide the mixture into separate bowls (for as many colors as you need) and add food coloring to each.
- Pipe. Transfer the royal icing mixture to a piping bag with a number 4 piping tip and pipe batter out into rows on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Dry. Let your healthy rainbow sprinkles sit at room temperature, uncovered, until they are completely dry. (This is best overnight, it takes at least 12 hours.)
- Break apart. Using a tip of a sharp knife, pick lines off of parchment paper and carefully break into small sprinkle-sized pieces. Use your hands to break down further as needed.
Store sprinkles in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Besti sweetener is a natural preservative, which helps them last a long time!
How to Use Homemade Sprinkles
These sugar free cookie sprinkles have so many uses! Add them on top of these treats to take them to a whole new level:
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Keto Sugar Free Sprinkles Recipe (0 Carb!)
Learn how to make sugar free sprinkles at home, with 0 carbs and just 4 simple ingredients! These homemade keto sprinkles add color and fun to any healthy dessert.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Drying Time 12 hours
Total Time 30 minutes
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg white and water until frothy with an electric mixer, about 20 seconds. Then slowly beat in the powdered Besti until smooth.
Stir in the vanilla extract and food coloring to your liking.
Let the sheets stand at room temperature, uncovered, until the lines are completely dry, about 12 hours.
Using the tip of a sharp paring knife, pick the lines off the parchment paper. The pieces will break off into long and short pieces. Once you’ve loosened the lines from the entire sheet, carefully break the sprinkles down even further with your fingers.
Serving size: 1 teaspoon
Recipe makes 1 cup of sugar free sprinkles.
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 0g
Net Carbs 0g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂