FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
It’s no secret that creamy soups are my favorite kind. Apparently you guys can relate, because my 5-ingredient broccoli cheese soup is one of the most popular recipes on the blog. Today I’ve got another creamy low carb soup recipe to add to your list: gluten free keto cream of mushroom soup! It comes together super fast — just saute, simmer, and blend.
The cool thing about gluten free cream of mushroom soup is that it’s both an amazing dish in itself and a killer recipe ingredient. Sure, it works as a starter to your meal on its own, but it’s also a common staple in other foods, like casseroles.
This is probably why the canned kind is so popular, but that pales in comparison in so many ways. Not only is the flavor more bland, the ingredients are often questionable at best. Who needs all that, when you can make your own low carb cream of mushroom soup with just seven common ingredients and 30 minutes?
Why You’ll Love This Keto Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Rich, mushroom flavor
- Creamy, smooth texture
- Easy naturally keto recipe
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Just 6 grams net carbohydrates
- 5 grams vegetarian protein
- Great to eat on its own or use in recipes
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for homemade gluten free cream of mushroom soup, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Olive Oil – For sauteing the mushrooms. You could also use avocado oil, or butter if you don’t turn up the heat too high.
- Onion – I use a white onion, but you could also use a yellow onion as a substitute.
- Mushrooms – I’ve used white button mushrooms, but baby bella mushrooms or any wild mushrooms you like would also be delicious. Buy sliced mushrooms to save time if they are available.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic cloves for best flavor, or jarred minced garlic for convenience. One clove of garlic = 1/2 teaspoon minced.
- Broth – I used low-sodium chicken broth, but beef broth works just as well. Bone broth is also great to up the nutrition, if you like the richer flavor. You can also use vegetable broth for a vegetarian gluten free mushroom soup, but the carbs will be a little higher.
- Heavy Cream – This makes the soup rich and creamy. Don’t substitute almond milk or coconut milk beverage, as both will be too thin. For a dairy-free, paleo, and whole30 option, substitute full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can) or coconut cream.
- Almond Milk – Make sure it’s unsweetened. I love homemade almond milk, but store bought is perfectly fine, too. For a nut-free option, substitute coconut milk beverage (the kind in the dairy section, not canned), or for ultra-rich soup, swap in more heavy cream.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper – The amount you need will vary based on the broth you use and your personal preference, so adjust to taste.
You Could Also Add:
- Cream Cheese – Instead of the cream and almond milk, blend in some room-temperature cream cheese at the end to thicken and make the soup creamy.
- Fresh Herbs – Add some fresh thyme, rosemary, or Italian seasoning while sauteing the mushrooms and onions.
- Cooking Wine – An option to add extra flavor. Pour it over the mushrooms after sauteing and use it to deglaze the pan before adding the other liquids.
- Dijon Mustard – Another great flavoring addition. Add it with the liquid ingredients.
How To Make Gluten Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This section shows how to make keto mushroom soup (that’s also gluten-free!), with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Saute mushrooms and onions. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Saute onions and mushrooms, until soft and lightly browned.
- Saute garlic. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Simmer. Add the liquids (chicken broth, heavy cream, and almond milk), sea salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then continue simmering, stirring occasionally.
- Blend. Use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth. Voila – low carb cream of mushroom soup!
TIP: How to blend without an immersion blender: If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can blend the soup in a regular blender instead, working in batches if needed.
Is Cream Of Mushroom Soup Gluten Free?
Store bought cream of mushroom soup is not usually gluten-free, as it’s thickened with wheat flour, not to mention filled with hidden carbs and preservatives.
This cream of mushroom soup without flour doesn’t need any flour or xanthan gum to thicken it, it’s thick enough on its own, thanks to the cream and pureed mushrooms.
Is Cream Of Mushroom Soup Keto?
No, traditional cream of mushroom soup is not keto. Most versions are made with flour, cornstarch, and other non-keto ingredients that add carbs to the soup. Carbs in cream of mushroom soup canned varieties typically clock in at 8 grams per cup, which isn’t outrageous, but because of those starches, it can still spike blood sugar and kick you out of ketosis.
Instead, make this is delicious option for the keto diet, made with no starches or artificial ingredients. The only carbs in this soup come from the mushrooms and onions. If you want to reduce the carb count further, you can omit the onion. If you reduce the amount of mushrooms, your soup will be thinner and less creamy, so if you feel the need to do that, I recommend adding a thickener (check my list of cornstarch substitutes for options).
- Store: Keep the keto mushroom soup recipe in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Reheat soup gently in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave, until hot.
- Freeze: Freeze soup in an airtight container for 2-3 months. If the texture isn’t smooth, run the immersion blender through it, once it’s hot.
What To Serve With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Serve this low carb cream of mushroom soup with some extra toppings or one of these sides:
More Easy Mushroom Recipes
If you like this gluten free cream of mushroom soup recipe, you might also like some of these other easy mushroom recipes:
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Gluten-Free Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
A thick, creamy, gluten-free keto cream of mushroom soup recipe, made with just 7 simple ingredients in 30 minutes! Enjoy it on its own or use it in recipes.
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Tap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
Add the chicken broth, cream, almond milk, sea salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flavors develop to your liking.
Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth (or puree in batches in a regular blender).
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Gluten-free Cream of Mushroom Soup:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe — it’s located directly above the ingredients list. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make Gluten-free Cream of Mushroom Soup!
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 7.6g
Net Carbs 6g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂