Just as in previous years, it’s incredibly important to shop local for the holidays in 2021! We’ve compiled some of our favorite items, gifts, places to shop, and experiences this year.
Many businesses make it really easy to purchase gift boxes already pre-loaded with local goodies.
Try to do your shopping at local stores this year! They carry a full range of products and feature loads of local vendors or artists.
Support local authors!
And certainly buy your books from small publishers or local bookstores: Prologue Bookshop in Short North, Two Dollar Radio HQ on Parsons Ave., Gramercy Books in Bexley, Cover to Cover Books in Upper Arlington, The Book Loft in German Village.
Many shops are offering incredible and unique gifts that help you (and your giftee) develop and encourage sustainable practices!
- Koko is an online retailer with shops in Clintonville and the Hilltop. They feature a wide variety of products, from reusable sandwich bags and coffee filters to silicone bowl covers and reusable bag drying stands. kokotheshop.com
- Rewash Refillery is a mobile soap refilling station based in Clintonville, also offering gift boxes with loads of local goodies. facebook.com/rewashrefillery
- Evolverie is a new storefront in Old Worthington that features stunning ethically designed and created clothing for women. evolverieclothing.com
- Reuse Revolution inside North Market Bridge Park focuses on a wide variety of products, from soaps and bags to toothbrushes, makeup, dishcloths, razor blades, and much more. reuserevolution.com
Beers + Booze
I say this every year, but interesting beers and local spirits are always on my gift list. They’re fun to try and even more fun to share.
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing comes up with all sorts of great holiday beers, and they pair them with homemade cookies. Try the Santa Was Here imperial pastry stout paired with dark chocolate chip cookies: store.wolfsridgebrewing.com/collections/seasonal-beer
- Pick up wines from local experts like Coast Wine House, House Wine, or The Twisted Vine
- Warm up with anything from local distilleries, like Middle West Spirits‘ bourbon cream, Watershed’s barrel-strength bourbon, Echo Spirits‘ new Queen’s Share Rum
- Impress someone with canned or bottled offerings from expert breweries like Columbus Brewing Company, Nocterra, Ill Mannered, Land-Grant, and many others. Get a full list by searching the Columbus Ale Trail: cbusaletrail.com/trail
Coffee + Cans
I love coffee, so just like beer, new roasts are always on my list. Columbus has so many terrific coffee roasters to choose from! A few of my favorites:
Treat Yo Self
Everyone loves the gift of a little pampering! I love getting haircuts and beard trims at Royal Rhino Club. Or try The Mug & Brush, Goodfellow’s, Holy Moses, Longview. Or gift cards to places that do facials, massage, and other therapeutic services: Oasis Face Bar, Balance Beauty Spa + Wellness, Body For Life Massage & Spa, Open Sky Day Spa, Ebb & Float, Papillon Day Spa.
Give someone the gift of a quiet overnight in the woods! Curl up, read books, watch movies, make dinner together. There are so many options within an easy drive from Columbus. Read about our stays in a in a treehouse or in a cabin at The Mohicans, which is offering 30% off stays through December 17. Or sneak away at Cherry Valley Hotel in Newark, at Gervasi Vineyard in Canton, or a yurt at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls.
A Bite to Eat
I love giving restaurant gift cards, especially if you can create an experience out of them: trying a new place for dinner, getting drinks, meeting up for breakfast. A few places we’ve been loving these days:
Book classes or just schedule an afternoon at an indoor play park!
- Play: CBUS, an indoor play park with 52,000 square feet of ropes courses, climbing walls, and more. playadventureparks.com/location/columbus
- Movement Lab Ohio, where you can take classes and explore ninja warrior course, parkour, and more: mlabohio.com
- Airhouse Adventure Park at Polaris has an arcade, trampolines, ropes courses, obstacles, and lots of fun games: columbus.theairhouse.com
- Vertical Adventures offers 16,000 square feet of rock climbing and classes: 5.life/va
Bring the Park Inside
This year we’ve been given some lovely greenery for our yard or home. They’re really thoughtful gifts that we get to enjoy for many years to come.
Looking for more gift ideas, or suggestions for places to eat, drinks to sip, arts experiences, parks, and more? Join my e-mail list and get my weekly newsletter and season guides.
Success! You’re on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn’t process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.